Tuesday, December 27, 2005

'Twas the day after Boxing Day...

... and my daughters are at their father's for a couple of days. I drove them over there earlier today, thinking that I would quite enjoy the peace and quiet, and had every intention of hitting the post-Christmas mess that is my house like a reverse tornado. However, the house is far too quiet and all I've succeeded in doing is falling asleep. My half-hour doze somehow morphed into a three-hour time-warp of a sleep, from which I woke rather Rip-Van-Winkled to the dark and a further covering of snow.

I think I'll take the hint and put the housework on hold until tomorrow. There are a couple of films I fancy watching, a fridge full of tasty leftovers, and a cupboard full of nice bottles of wine. It would of course be nice if friends unexpectedly rang the doorbell later and joined me, but after the hectic couple of days we've just had, a quiet evening in front of the Quiet American will be just fine.

Christmas has been lovely. It wasn't the Christmas I would have planned for: apart from anything else we haven't seen my mother due to my sister's game-playing. I've just gone with the flow, not thought about it and so it hasn't spoilt it. We'll have her over here another time. And I haven't let thoughts about Mr F-M interrupt either. He unexpectedly made contact about a week ago, asking me to make an 130-mile round trip to see him, and when I wouldn't he turned up at my door instead. The saga continues.

Yes, I need a good film or two to occupy me tonight.

5 Comments:

Blogger Zoozan said...

enjoy

8:09 pm  
Blogger WDKY said...

The saga continues indeed. Glad you had such a nice Christmas, amnd enjoy the peace and quiet.

9:00 am  
Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

What's the "Quiet American? Also, exactly what is "Boxing Day???"

12:38 am  
Blogger Mine is a Gin said...

nym - "The Quiet American" is a film based on a Graeme Greene novel starring Michael Caine (who incidentally was on great form & not doing one of his cheap money spinners).
Boxing Day is the day after Christmas Day when traditionally the church "poor boxes" were divided up among the needy of the parish. And not, as I thought as a child, the day when they broadcast sports on the tv!

1:54 am  
Blogger fjl said...

seconding Zoozan x

12:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home